James S. “Steve” Bruce, Esq.
Steve is a trial lawyer originally from Irmo, South Carolina who represents clients on a variety of matters involving medical malpractice, personal injury, wrongful death, aviation accidents and military and veterans matters. He has experience handling cases through various phases of litigation including initiation, discovery, mediation as well as taking cases to trial.
In addition to being an attorney, Steve is an Airline Transport Pilot for a major commercial airline as well as a retired lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force. He has over 25 years of flying experience as an instructor and evaluator pilot and has amassed multiple type ratings. His flight experience includes over 4,000 hours of flight time in a variety of aircraft including the Airbus A319/320/321, Boeing 717, MD-88, C-17, C-21 (Lear 35), T-1 (Beechjet 400), T-37, T-41, PA-44, PA-28R, C-182, C-172 and C-150.
Throughout his career, he has been actively involved in a variety of cases including the representation of:
- Victims of medical malpractice
- Clients who have sustained personal injury because of the negligence of others.
- Drivers and passengers injured in serious automobile and trucking accidents.
- Major air carriers and air taxi operators.
- Nationwide trucking companies and their drivers.
- Aviation and trucking insurers.
- Pilots and mechanics involved in FAA enforcement actions.
- Military pilots facing Flight Evaluation Boards.
- Military personnel facing UCMJ actions and/or administrative punishments.
- Air Reserve Technicians facing government punishment.
- Government employees subjected to EEO discrimination.
- Home inspectors and inspection companies.
- Businesspeople involved in commercial disputes.
When Steve’s not in the office, he enjoys SCUBA diving and fishing. He lives in Mount Pleasant, SC with his wife Stacey, daughter DeLaney and son James.
- United States Air Force Academy, BS 1993
- Auburn University, MBA 1998
- Charleston School of Law, JD 2008 cum laude
- Charleston Law Review, Associate Managing Editor, 2007-2008
- Charleston Moot Court
- South Carolina
- US District Court for South Carolina
Current and Former Professional Associations
- Board of Trustees, Delta Pilots Mutual Aid
- National Transportation Safety Board Bar Association
- Lawyer Pilot Bar Association
- National Business Aviation Association
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- International Society of Air Safety Investigators
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Belle Hall Homeowners Association Board of Directors
Prior Work Experience
- US Airforce, 22 years, achieved rank of Lieutenant Colonel (retired)
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP, Associate Attorney